Friday, January 14, 2011

My cranky monkey and I

My sick son has gone back to sleep and I've a chance to blog. It's 8am and I wish to go back to sleep too but my brain cant seem to shut down. I woke at 2.30am this morning, with my heart racing and got back to sleep a few hours later, only to be woken by my son at 6. So that makes for a cranky son and a cranky mama! LOL

My son fell ill a few days ago. On and off he kicks off his blanket and if that happens once too often on consecutive nights, or is coupled with poor sleep for a few nights, he falls ill.

A few nights ago, he accidentally wet his bed (seldom happens) and was restless until I realised what happened. Also, for about 2 nights recently, he woke crying badly when I wasn't with him. He gets scared when he wakes at night and I'm not there beside him. Sometimes I have a quick errand to run, or to grab a bite if I didnt eat enough at dinner, or have paperwork to do in the next room, or am on the internet but I guess, I'll have to stay in bed with him til morning, for the next few days at least.

He couldnt do his hyperbaric on Tuesday cos he complained his ear was painful. That was the earliest sign he caught a cold. He's stayed home from school since Wednesday. He was easy to care for on Wednesday, showing just slight signs of a cold. We did quite a lot of activities at home ranging from fine motor to maths and reading. The Clarintyne, Vit C, and Olbas seemed to help. But the level of crankiness started to rise in the evening, as he got more tired and hungry. I cut down his feeds as his appetite has gone down and also, I didnt want him to vomit.

Wednesday night was a totally different story. Despite giving him Clarinase before bedtime, his runny nose couldnt stop. He woke more than 10 times, needing to be carried most of the time, and at other times, he'd be tossing and turning, kicking off his blanket etc. I was so tired by Thursday morning, and so was he.

I gave him Clarinase again on Thursday morning and when that didnt work, I also gave him Afrin, a nasal drop. When that didnt stop the runny nose and cough, we went to see his peadiatrician. It was a very long wait - a record waiting time of 2 hours. Luckily I brought his toy fuel tanker and milk.

Dr said that it's a bad rhino-virus (a virus that attacks the nasal area/upper respiratory tract) and wanted to treat it aggresively. So he's now on Promethazine (that's the brown drowsy cough mixture) 3x a day, Clarinase and Afrin.

When Dr pointed out that the Promethazine would make him sleepy, I quickly said that that's probably what he needs. Without sleep, he'd only get worse (both in terms of his health and crankiness!).

He managed to take a long nap from 3-6pm yesterday, which allowed me to rest too. The med worked like a charm last night too, where he slept from 8pm to 6am without waking.

He was still cranky his morning but that's probably because he was very hungry (he had only half his dinner) and still a bit drowsy because of the med. Cranky but still wanted to play!

His med has kicked in, and he's now sound asleep. Thank goodness for drowsy medicine! Thank goodness for Panadol (that's for me cos I'm feeling sick too)! I'm now gonna try to rest with him.

Please pray for a speedy, complete recovery (my hubby hates it when my son misses school) and for peaceful sleep for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment