Monday, June 28, 2010

Parents Teacher Meeting

School was closed on Friday (25 June 2010) for the PTM. I was very happy that my husband took the time to come and meet his teacher.

The comments written in his report card were very brief. Verbally, she had more to say, in response to my husband’s questions.

I was quite impressed that almost everything that she said about my son were spot on. There was only one thing that wasn’t accurate (his reading progress) but that’s only because he had a “reading progress spurt” recently and she had yet to witness it.

I must say that she’s a very observant teacher even though the class is bigger than most kindergartens. I overheard her observations of another child to the mother and it’s true too.

Briefly, these were some of her feedback:

- He’s settled down well (I think she meant no more running and screaming, doing his own thing) and able to join in with the rest for circle time etc

- He doesn’t sing during music time but loves the “big movement” songs

- He’s only comfortable with a few specific kids – kids who are more gentle. (She’s probably referring to the Japanese girl who is indeed very gentle (and feminine).

- He’s sensitive

- His pencil grip has improved. He no longer uses the jumbo sized pencil, and his writing is darker (previously, it was very faint that you could hardly see it)

- He needs to talk more and have more confidence. The volume of his speech is improving which is good.

- His reading needs to be improved upon because he should have moved beyond needing to break down individual letters into their phonic sounds, then blending before saying the whole word. It’s ok to do so when a person just starts reading, but he must be much faster especially if he is going to a govt school. (This I’m not so worried about cos I think he just needs more practice)

- She prefers if I continue trying to distance myself from him, in order for him to open up and try to do things on his own. (I like this! Maybe by the end of the year, I don’t need to be his shadow aide?)

- She thinks in terms of cognitive ability, he’s about average. She says it’s hard to tell cos he doesn’t talk/answer her questions during circle time.

- He can follow general instructions given (e.g. teacher tells the class to take their exercise books and pencils) but needs one to one help doing the exercises in the workbook

- His maths (numbers) are ok

My husband had more questions to ask her but since the next parent was already waiting her turn we decided to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment