Thursday, June 10, 2010

FGA’s PSG Picnic - 9 June 2010

We went for a picnic at Bukit Jalil Park yesterday morning (Wednesday). We were blessed with cool cloudy weather and only a few mosquitoes! It was a small, casual picnic with 6 other families.

In my mad rush to get there (we’re both not morning persons – he went to the picnic in pyjamas! LOL) I forgot to bring along his sippy bottle to make him his milk but did bring a doughnut (one of his favourite snacks). He didn’t want any of the other foods like bee hoon, fried mee, sausage buns, but that’s to be expected of him. When there are people whom he’s not familiar with around, it’s firstly very difficult to feed him what he does like to eat (very self conscious), and secondly, it’s even harder to have him eat food he’s not familiar with. I made sure he drank water so he doesn’t risk being dehydrated.

He enjoyed himself as he played on the rocking animals (or as I call them the weeble wobbles) but didn’t have the courage to play on the climbing equipment with two other kids who were around his age group. To be fair, the kids were on the equipment that were rather large, high up, and on top of a dome shaped triangular grid. It would have looked intimidating to him.

He was amused by one of the ladies trying out the hula hoop and the sepak-bulu-tangkis-thingy (coloured feathers attached to flat ring-shaped weights, which you try to keep in the air by kicking it up with the side of your feet like in sepak takraw). She later took it upon herself to play with him while I spoke at length to another mother.

I was really happy to observe that someone else could take care of him, and for him to enjoy himself without me around! I’m not sure how long it was...perhaps 20-30 minutes? She showed him how to play with a propeller-flying-thingy (a light wooden two blade rotor on a thin vertical stick). He played with a plastic version of that during Chinese new year at the in-laws, but couldn’t get it to fly. This time round, I noticed that he made progress. I’m happy to see that he can learn from someone else, and be willing to try! Maybe it’s because mama’s not in his range of sight (he didn’t see me, but I was observing him). Hmm, perhaps I should resign as his shadow aide and hire one instead! But I know that’s unlikely to happen as it’ll add to the financial burden...unless papa’s willing to consider?

I was happy to have adult conversation, and a break from errands, chores and therapies. I’ve to start clearing the errands during the holidays cos there’s a backlog from the time of his illnesses. Who was it that said that things come in threes? This week, I’ve had a leaking air cond, no water to all our toilets, and tonight, we have an aeroplane with its engine on in the kitchen (fridge is making an awfully loud rattling noise). If only it were an aeroplane ready to whisk me off for a holiday!

A big thank you to the organisers for a simple, casual, enjoyable picnic! A much appreciated break to catch up with you guys, and a break from routines!

No comments:

Post a Comment