Monday, June 21, 2010

Art and craft – trees

We watched a version of this activity from the “Art Time” TV programme on Playhouse Disney channel, but further simplified it. This was probably done about 2-3 weeks ago.

“Art Time” is a 3-5 minute clip on various simple art and craft activities done by pre-schoolers, and then animated very creatively into a brief story. I think he likes to watch it because it’s cute, funny, interesting and features real kids around his age.

I had to rush through this activity because just like the way “Art Time” is used to fill in bits of time between the regular programmes, this activity was a “filler” between lunch and his therapy : )

As a result, it’s a bit hard to tell what the different types of trees are, and the leaves are very sparse. LOL! Starting from left, we have the banana tree, a pine tree, a coconut tree, and a beringin tree.

I did this activity with him for the usual fine motor practice, presented in a fun way. To get in a bit of extra practice, I had him draw the trees out in pencil first, then trace over with a marker pen. As usual, I held my hand over his, as we drew together. That's to help him develop the correct pencil grip, and to check on the strength of his grip, and because he doesn't know how to draw anything else apart from circles, the sun, a smiley face.

I intended for him to learn to use the scissors with my help in this activity, but because of time restrictions, I cut out the leaves myself. It’s a very rushed job, resulting in not very nice looking leaves! But hey, I suppose he learns that it’s ok not to churn out almost perfect looking art. LOL.

Btw, this also happens to tie in to his kindergarten’s science theme of plants (sub-topic: trees).

No comments:

Post a Comment