Monday, May 17, 2010

He's sick again

He started a fever on Sunday afternoon while we were out having lunch. It didnt help that Sunday was probably the hottest day ever...up to 39 Celcius at one point, according to the reading on my husband's equipment.

This time round, he managed to drink lots of water and we tried to keep him cool with cooler temp showers and kept him in air conditioned rooms. He responded well to paracetamol. There were no other symptoms like runny nose or phlegm or cough.

We stayed home from school today, and will do so for 3 days at least. I had made an appointment to visit an international school on Thursday. I'll have to see how he fares the next few days before deciding whether to postpone the visit, as it's rather far.

He was doing well today. His appetite was good - finished his entire tuna sandwich (minus the crust) and a bowl of mushroom soup, for lunch. He ate reasonably well for dinner too, slowly ate up his melted cheese tuna sandwich toastie, a little soup and a little milk. He was clearly sleepy and tired (he skipped his evening nap). He was also alert, doing various light activities with me - writing, pattern, numeracy, reading, helping to prepare his own dinner (!). But the highlight of the day for him must have been watching the crane, bucket truck, and men at work sawing branches off the huge tree right outside our house.

Tonight he woke up crying because he wa drenched in sweat and then vomited. Sigh. Vomitting when he has a fever is never a good sign.



To distract myself from worrying over him being sick again so soon after his hospitalisation, and over the search for a suitable school, I made new flashcards (BM, English, and numeracy skills) the past few days.

It's time to get back into focusing on developing him, not just cognitively, but I seem to be hampered each time I try to move forward.

If I could draw an analogy where life's a highway with a 100kmph speed limit, and kids are cars moving along the highway, I feel like my car keeps stalling when I want to keep on driving at a steady 60 or 80kmph. It's so frustrating to be forced to stop in the emergency lane or slow down and watch all the other "normally developing kids cars" zoom by.

However, I do know that there are "gems" to be found while in the emergency lane, or while merely plodding along. I was so happy to do the simple things with him today. I was happy that he was having fun during rough play - his laughter is priceless. I was happy to explain what the tree cutters were doing, and to see the awe in his face. I was happy to have the time to trim his nails, shower him, make his lunch and dinner... all usually done in a hurry. I was reminded by my sister-in-law recently that kids grow up fast. So today, I got to enjoy my son (even though he's sick)!

No comments:

Post a Comment