Thursday, July 8, 2010

Little Drummer Boy

He’ll be in the school concert! He'll play a drum...Pah-rhump-pah-pah-phump.

His class teacher came back last Friday which was her first day after the parents teacher meeting. From then onwards, she has been more supportive. She observes my son more, and gives him a bit more one-to-one attention. One of the things that I also appreciate is that she wants my son to participate in the concert!

She first mentioned it to me last Friday, when I asked her why the kids from the other class were in Chinese costumes. It was then when she told me that my son will be in the concert. This year, their age group will perform traditional dances. His class will do the Indian/Punjabi/Tamil dances.

She had planned out an easy role for him. He’ll be the drummer in the Bhangra dance. He doesn’t need to remember dance steps or timings or follow the fast paced Indian song. He just comes in with his group, stand in the middle of the stage and beat his drum.

I expressed my surprise because I thought the school had a “high standard” (ie. want perfect kids for perfect concerts) based on my previous conversation with the principal. So, I asked if the administrator and principal were aware of her plans. She said she’d inform them and that it shouldn’t be a problem as it’d be a supporting role. I thanked her and tears started welling up in my eyes. So emotional, eh? She was compassionate in that she said it’s usual for parents to want to see their kids up on stage.

From Monday onwards, they started practising up on stage, the moves for the concert. The principal and the music teacher were there too. So I presume that all’s ok and he’s allowed to be in the concert.

At the first rehearsal, he was able to stand in place and play the drum without being overly distracted by the goings on around him (loud fast rhythm music, excited kids). At the second rehearsal he was a bit over excited by the other kids. Most of the kids who were waiting their turn on stage were a bit out of control (chasing or dancing crazily) cos the teachers were focused on the group dancing, and because well, the Indian music has a strong and fast rhythm.

Today, the principal suggested that I make a “draft” drum so that he doesn’t appear to randomly flap his arms while rehearsing on stage with the rest. She has a point that it might be hard for him to imagine he’s playing a drum. So I searched for images from the internet and came up with an improvised drum from a milk tin, two old water bottle straps and short rods from a construction set.

Today when Papa asked what he played with at school, he said “drum”. Then he proudly went to get his drum and showed Papa how he plays the drum. LOL

I’m praying that all goes well. It’s a few more months to the actual concert but Papa has already asked me to video tape it!

No comments:

Post a Comment