Monday, July 12, 2010

Pegging cards - fine motor, counting & reading skills


I made these cards in Jan/Feb this year. The idea for this activity came to me from another blog (thanks for posting it Yvonne!).

I modified it a little by replacing the numerical symbols with words instead (ie. instead of “3”, I used “three”). The reason I spelt out the number instead of using symbols is that he’s already familiar with the symbols. In my existing sets, the answers are limited to 1-10. I’ve not (and may not) done it for quantities larger than 10.



I also made a BM version. He’s ok with words that have 2 sukukata, but stumbles with 3 sukukata words (e.g. sembilan). I’ve another set of cards to help him learn numbers in BM.

He’ll get to practice/learn various things:

- Count small quantities using his eyes (not his hand)

- Count larger quantities using his hand (he still gets it wrong probably due to his co-ordination problem)

- To subtly teach him to scan e.g. a row of 5 butterflies that are repeated below the first row should mean there are 10 (=5+5). He’s not learnt that yet.

- Learn to read (he learnt this quite fast for the English set)

- Fine motor (strengthen his fingers; use his left hand)

I’ve various types of fancy wooden pegs of different sizes, and therefore requiring different strengths. Most of the pegs are challenging for him except for the standard sized ones.

He also has difficulty co-ordinating/isolating his left and right hands. When he needs to pinch the peg very hard with the fingers of his right hand, his left hand which is holding the card unintentionally squeezes/crushes the card. I see that problem happening too when he does a lacing activity with a pipe cleaner and cut up drinking straws.

I guess I need to do a whole lot more fine motor lacing/pegging activities to strengthen and improve functionality.



If you’d like a soft copy of either or both versions, just drop me an email and I’ll be most happy to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment