Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Faith turns to sight

"Her faith is turning into sight" - that's the phrase taken from my friend's husband's sms, updating us on my friend's condition. Today, a dear friend has gone to be with the Lord after battling with cancer. She was part of my cell group, back when I was having a closer walk with God. She was incredibly thoughtful, compassionate, of strong faith, and God's love and light was clearly shining through her.

I will forever remember her for those qualities and for one particular event about a year ago. Over a year ago, she started treatment for the recurrence of her cancer. Despite all that she was going through back then, she still remembered my son and I - she wanted to introduce me to a friend of hers, Evelyn, who is also a mother of a special needs child. But due to the side effects of the treatments, our meeting was delayed a few months. Yet, she never forgot. Yet, she was very determined and made such an effort to visit us together with Evelyn.

It was from that one very thoughtful and determined effort of hers that I have come to receive much support in helping my son. During that visit, Evelyn called up to enquire of a music teacher who used to teach her son. That music teacher is now my son's music teacher. He, is another truly special child of God. He's far more than just a music teacher. He's an educator, with great talent, creativity, patience and insight into childhood development. To top it off, kids like my son have a special place in his heart.

It was then from the music teacher that I came to know of the Parent Support Group for Special Needs Kids. I've not only learnt much from their seminars, but received vital emotional and prayer support from them. It's honestly very hard for most parents of 'normal' kids to relate to the different challenges faced when it comes to special needs kids.

It is from the music class that I got to know a mother who's a kindergarten principal. She too has a very kind heart and has been very helpful, despite being so busy, by providing vital resources and advice in helping me develop my son's literacy skills.

So from that one visit, those are the remarkable ways that God has blessed our lives, ways that would have been unimaginable to her at the outset. Truly, she has been a blessing to us. I have no doubt that there are many and far more touching testimonies of how she has blessed others. She will be very much missed but at the same time, I'm happy that at the end of her journey on this earth, she's with our Lord, where she'll forever have joy, peace and eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment